Burrell Massingberd significantly expanded the estate before his death in 1728. His son, William Burrell Massingberd commissioned the redesign of the estate’s parkland and he commissioned the architect, James Paine to almost entirely rebuild the manor house.
The new South Ormsby Hall was the first country house Paine designed in its entirety. Paine went on to become a renowned architect, designing some of Britain’s best-known country houses including Cusworth Hall, Thorndon Hall, New Wardour Castle, Nostell Priory, Kedleston Hall and the magnificent park bridge and grand stables of Chatsworth House.
By the end of the 1700s, the estate’s parkland appeared almost the same as it does now, including the historic walled garden which was built between 1774 and 1803.
In 1802, William Burrell Massingberd died and was succeeded by his son, Charles Burrell Massingberd. Charles married Marie Jeanne Rapigeon of Versailles in 1788, and it is this couple in the Estate’s history on which we draw inspiration for our craft gin.
Charles commissioned architect Peter Atkinson & Sons to alter the hall, removing its original pediment and adding a third storey on top of the main building.
Charles expanded the estate further but died in 1835.
Leaving only a daughter, Harriet who was married to Charles Godfrey Mundy. Harriet and Charles kept both of their names to become the Massingberd-Mundy family.
Their son, Charles John Henry Massingberd-Mundy was custodian when the rectory was built on the estate between 1849-1850 and South Ormsby School which opened in 1858.
Charles died in 1882 and was succeeded by Godfrey Bertram Massingberd-Mundy.